Tuesday 11 August 2009

City2Surf

So Sunday was 'the big day' we finally did City2Surf. I put a lot of hard work in, and it was all worthwhile as I really enjoyed the event.For those in the UK or that haven't read it here before, City2Surf is a 14km (about 8.7 miles) road race going from Hyde Park in Sydney to Bondi Beach. This year 75,000 people took part, making it the biggest road race in the world.

It's a course with hills in several places, and one stretch in particular, called Heartbreak Hill, that begins at the 6km point and lasts until around the 8km mark. It was pretty hard, especially getting elbowed and having to dodge people in order to move up the field, but great fun at the same time. There were a couple of gorgeous views out over Sydney where you can see the bridge and opera house. And the finish is at Bondi Beach, which is fantastic.

I'll hopefully get my official time later today if I can get my hands on the paper, or tomorrow if I can't (the online ones are delayed so they can sell more papers grr). However, going by my heart rate monitor, I think I came in at around 78-79 minutes.Not fast in the grand scheme of things (the winner came in at 41:02!), but for my first 14km run and only second road race, I'm really pleased with it. I'm building a really good running base now and will be looking to improve times steadily as I gain more experience.

No comments: